Sunday, April 20, 2008

Jeff's Money Worth List

For the past two years I have sent out this e-mail so again I thought it might be fun to list my favorite items and see if they match up with others. So here I go.
Road bike stuff:
1) Speed play pedals- if you have any kind of knee or hip problems, these are the way to go.
2) Over size carbon bar with oversize stem- I use to get numb hands after about 40 miles till I started using this, doesn’t happen any more, also the oversize stuff keeps the flex away.
3) Cork tape- nothing has the fill of cork tape.
4) 16 tooth rear cog- for me and a lot of others, the 16t is the perfect gear.
5) Seats with cut out- I don’t know if they really help, but it gives me peace of mind.
6) Light Wheel set- If you what to take weight off your bike, wheels are the best place. Replace heavy tires with lighter ones (230 grams or less) or if you can, a wheel set weighing less than 1500 grams.
7) Co2 air- to fix flats. Much faster than a pump.
Mtn bike stuff
I don’t really ride my mtn bike as much as I use to so I really don’t have that much.
1) Time pedals- have used them since 95 or 96 and really like the float and release. This past year I tried a pair of egg beaters and they work about the same as the Time but maybe a little lighter.
2) Hutchison python tires- there are newer tires out there, but these have always worked well for me in most conditions.
General everything else
1) Knee and arm warmers- if you want to still be riding when you 60, you need to take care of your knees when you 30. If its 63° or less I’m going to have them on.
2) The high end Giro helmets- First time I paid $150 for a helmet, I had second thoughts about my sanity, till I felt how light it was and the HUGE amount of air that got sucked through it.
3) Bibb shorts- I bought my first pair 10 years ago and have not had anything since (look at what the pros use).
4) Pro link chain lube- apply, wipe off repeat, presto clean chain.
5) ¾ length or full length zipper- I will not buy a jersey with anything less with the heat we have here.
6) Specialized water bottles- they just have the right fill, not to hard not to soft and with good tops.
7) Cytomax – keeps the cramps away for me.
8) Peanut butter power bars- I like the way they taste.
9) Plain gu- if you forget to eat your peanut butter power bar and you bonk, this will give you about 30’ worth of juice, than take another.
10) Good gloves, seat, and shoes- you only make contact with your bike in three places, so you want the best you can afford.
11) Cyclops fluid trainer- great for indoor workouts or warming up for a race.
Well that’s if for me. If you have any thoughts send them out so others can compare. It might also be fun to list any thing you bought or tried that you thought was junk or a waste of money.
Jeff Dorminey

No comments: