Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Chad Wiswald's Sunny King/Cheaha Report


Big Chad 4th Place Cat 5 in the Sunny King Crit


Woke up Saturday and it was raining really bad so I was thinking of passing since the last time I rode in the rain I fell.We got to the place and it looked really disorganized so that made me want to pass so I was going to at least get my shirt so I signed in and there was no shirt and when I walked out the rain had stopped but the streets still wet.So I warmed up for a few minutes and took to the races and they postponed it for thirty minutes so I got to do a proper warm up and 5 minutes to the race I lined up off we went.I started top 4 and one kid took off and one guy droped back so I was behind a guy making him work and we did a few laps at 185 to 192 heart rate and I heard on he intercom the kid in the front was 21 years old so after about 5 laps I thught he was going to hold it so I jumped up and sprinted to catch him and told him we got to work together and we hit fists and off we went. The best part was when I broke from the pack and passed you could hear and there goes Chad Wiswall from Montgomery he even said my name right. Each Time we went around you could hear how many seconds we were ahead by him talking.The 21 year old weighed around 130 so he would take the climb and I would take the downhill but on the last 4 laps they caught us and we got in the top 3 and then I let a guy pass thinking I would save some energy but it didn't work I could not sprint to the finish. But 4 th will do for now. Where did my power go????????????? I lost it

Cheaha 7000 feet of elevation> Richard and I left a little late from the hotel and I had to get in the back to change wheels and Richard was driving 95 in a 55 I thought I was going to die before we got there Richard had too much coffee. We got there with 5 min to spare.We started out 27 in a tail wind and I had a 120 heart rate it was great so I was drafting and trying to stay wih a group with same speed so I could cheat the whole ride but Richard got boxed in. So I went back and me and him rode the two of us so no drafting. The hills were long!!!!!!!!!! long! long!long!Itseemed like a 30 minute climb or longer going 5 miles an hour then you got to go 50 down a winding road and I passed a motor cycle like he was standing still. If you went down that would be some road rash.Once we started climbing 175 to 184 depending how long the climb was.And Richard heart rate was 145 to 160 what a machine. And as we hit 67 mile marker he got faster and I just had to watch his back the rest of the ride.I think I lost about 5 pounds of leg muscle on the top of the mountain. It was fun in a crazy kinda way very challenging especially when you would see people walking up the hill making these awful sounds as you passed them. One guy had a shirt that said what have you got me into you suck. I was behind him on this hill reading it and I made the comment i like your shirt but as I passed him he said hey You suck that was pretty funny as we were going 5 to 7 miles an hour. Overall the first 67 was ok the last 13 miles sucked and it as a flat road anda head wind. Tip of the month DON'T RIDE CHEAHA unless your CRAZY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was my first 100 miles what was I thinking I must have got too much lactic acid in my brain doing that crit Saturday.
Chad

No comments: